This dinner you can literally throw together when you have minutes to spare. Not only is this a 15 minute meal, but it also only requires 6 ingredients, is pretty budget-friendly and everyone in the house loves it.
The roasted broccoli is delicious, but Ok, some kids will likely pull out the broccoli. It’s good that the salmon pretty much disintegrates into the sauce.
The smoked salmon is more like a flavour enhancer here because just melts into the sauce and creates a deliciously savoury, slightly smoky taste which goes so well with the pasta. You could either use regular smoked salmon or hot smoked salmon. Hot smoked is meatier and will hold its shape more, whereas cold-smoked salmon will create more of a sauce texture for your pasta.
I try to eat low carb, so I got myself a fillet of hot smoked salmon, made extra broccoli and just had those two together, while the others had the pasta. And my youngest had plain pasta. Let’s face it, family meals are also all about being able to tailor things to your individual needs.
- 1 large head of broccoli
- ½ cup parmesan, grated
- 250g pasta of choice
- 1 Cup pasta cooking water
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 4 Tbsp cream cheese
- 250g smoked salmon, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 220C/400F and bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.
- Break the broccoli into small florets and place onto a roasting tray. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle over half the parmesan. Place into the oven and roast for 15 minutes.
- While the broccoli cooks, cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain, but reserve about 1 cup of the cooking water.
- Add the smoked salmon, butter and cream cheese to a frying pan and whisk together over medium heat. Add the hot pasta water and whisk until they are incorporated together. Add the pasta and the broccoli florets back into the pan and toss to coat everything together.
- Sprinkle over the remaining parmesan, and serve.