This recipe makes 4 serves of vanilla custard and 4 serves of chocolate, for those who can’t decide which to have (always me!) This is a classic custard base and is very easy to make.
These delicious little puddings, or custard pots taste just like Jell-O pudding packs, except they are made from scratch using simple ingredients like eggs, sugar and milk. I’m always amazed at how simple homemade stuff can be. There is simply no need for all the preservatives and additives that big corporations put into their products.
- 2 Cups Milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 strip of Peel from a Lemon or Orange
- 50g / ½ Cup Flour
- 175g / ¾ Cup Raw Sugar
- pinch salt
- 15g / 1 /Tbsp Butter
- 4 Whole Eggs
- 60g Dark Chocolate
- In a saucepan, infuse the milk with the vanilla and strip of citrus peel. Bring this mixture to a very low simmer - just under boiling.
- In another pan, melt the butter, then add in the flour, sugar, salt and eggs. Whisk until the lumps are smooth.
- Pour in the simmering milk a little at time, whisking all the time.
- Cook for a few minutes until thickened - be careful not to boil as this will scramble the eggs.
- Pour half of this mixture into ramekins.
- To make the rest into chocolate, whisk in the dark chocolate chips until melted. Pour into ramekins
- Eat straight away or set in the fridge until cool.