The black bean filling in these tacos is filled with some exciting flavours of a great mole sauce: chili, spices, chocolate, raisins and a touch of peanut butter. Complex and insanely good! Corn tortillas are grilled and then topped with some charred sweet potato and cauliflower. Meat free meals at it’s best!
I had reserved some spice mix from making the chili so I could sprinkle over some thin slices of sweet potato and cauliflower. Roasted until charred at the edges, these are the taco toppings. Along with the obligatory sour cream, cheese, guacamole and coriander (cilantro) of course.
Just a note that I recommend using the corn tortillas, not the flour ones. The corn tortillas are more authentic. Make sure to heat them just before using. I charred mine over the BBQ right before we ate outside but a large hot skillet will also do. Try making homemade tortilla chips sometime with them! Here is the recipe.
Meat-Free Meals :
Here is your recipe for Black Bean Mole Soft Tacos:
- For the mole:
- 2 cups dried black beans
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems and leaves chopped and separated
- 2 chilies, preferably dried and different varieties, seeded
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- For the spice mix:
- 1.5 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1.5 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1.5 Tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp raisins
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp dark chocolate
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 sweet potato
- ½ cauliflower
- reserved spice mix (see above)
- 1 tsp honey
- Corn Tortillas
- Sour cream
- Grated cheese
- Soak the beans for around 8 hours or overnight and then drain. Cook in twice their volume of stock of choice for about 30 minutes or until just soft. Set aside.
- In a stock pot add some olive oil and sweat the onion, carrot, chillies, coriander/cilantro stems and red pepper until soft. Add the garlic for a further minute. Add the coriander seeds. Add 1 tbsp each of cumin, coriander, paprika and 1 tsp salt and stir together. (set aside the rest of the spices for the roast veggie toppings) Cook for a few minutes.
- Add the beans and their cooking liquid and stir. Add the raisins and peanut butter. Cook until reduced and thickened.
- Take off the heat, grate over the dark chocolate and stir.
- Top with the chopped spring onions.
- Heat oven to 220C/400F.
- Cut the sweet potato into thin wedges and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Cut thin slices of cauliflower and separate into single pieces on a another baking tray. Drizzle with oil and then the reserved extra spices from the black bean chili. Lightly drizzle with honey. Roast for 30-45minutes, until charred on the outside.
- To serve, heat the tortillas for a minute or two on each side over a hot grill pan.
- Assemble the tacos with black beans on the bottom, then top with the vegetables, some cilantro and toppings.